Thursday, February 19, 2009

We finally saw one!

(Okay, so this isn't the one we saw, because it was still dark and I didn't figure my camera would do her any justice - but this one's very similar to the one we saw.)

Well, we finally saw our first moose since coming to Alaska. I was beginning to think people were just telling us stories about them coming into yards, but it's true! BJ was getting ready to start his truck this morning at 6:15 am, when he ran back up the stairs to wake me up and tell me there was a moose out front. It was a cow, and by the time we got down there, she had moved next door into our neighbor's yard to nibble on their tree. It was snowing a little and so quiet and dark still, that we just watched her a bit. She didn't have a baby with her so she seemed pretty unconcerned with us. She was so big and it was truly amazing to see one so close. I was afraid for BJ to start his truck thinking it might frighten her, but as he did, she didn't even look and eventually just went to the next house to snack on some bushes. We were the fortunate ones, though, because she left us a pretty large present beside our tree - either it was her, or we have some giant rabbits running around too!

3 comments:

Ande said...

Nice present. At least she didn't set it on fire. That would be so neat to see one, make sure the kids know not to pet them though. Garrett did that I guess, that can be very dangerous. How are the kids liking it up there?

Unknown said...

I have to confess here, that when you said it was a cow, I thought BJ was mistaken because it was dark, and it was a cow. Like, moooo. I am cracking up at myself.

Karen said...

How sweet of it to leave you a present! LOL That would be pretty cool to see one up that close. =)